Application server-based enterprise applications
Application servers provide services required to allow for users to access applications and data over the Internet. But what are the components of such servers, and who provides these components. This tip, excerpted from InformIT, discusses these components. It is a part of a larger article on Application Servers.
Got an application server tip of your own? Garner instant fame by sending it in. We'll post it on our Web site (the instant fame part) and enter you in our tips contest for some neat prizes.
Application services help alleviate some of the infrastructure coding that would otherwise be embedded within the standalone enterprise application. An application server architecture includes the primary elements that comprise a functioning enterprise application serving environment.
These are the primary application server elements:
- Enterprise application component--The enterprise application component encapsulates the business logic and data of an enterprise application.
- Enterprise application module--The enterprise application module contains one or more enterprise application components to form an individual enterprise service. Enterprise application modules also contain a module deployment descriptor for defining the configuration and deployment properties of the module.
- Enterprise application--The enterprise application represents a cohesive collection of enterprise application modules, as well as perhaps Web application modules. Additionally, an enterprise application deployment descriptor contains any enterprise application assembly information.
- Enterprise application container--The enterprise application container provides the runtime environment in which enterprise applications operate.
- Enterprise application server--The enterprise application server provides the systems infrastructure functionality, such as enterprise communication services (for example, CORBA object request brokers), transaction-management services, security, and services in an integrated application server environment.
You can read the rest of this tip at InformIT. You have to register there, but it's free.