You probably work at a workstation, but how much do you really know about them? This quiz will assess your knowledge of key terms related to workstations and their various components
How to take the quiz:
- After reading the question, click on the answer that you think is correct to go to the whatis.com definition. If the answer you've chosen is correct, you will see the question text (exactly or approximately) somewhere in the definition.
- After reading the question, write down the letter of your answer choice on scrap paper. Check your answers by using the answer key at the end of the quiz.
1. This is a feature included in Microsoft's Windows 2000 server that allows network administrators to install the Windows 2000 Professional operating system and its upgrades to any number of workstations at one time from a centralized location.
2. This feature is useful for downloading software updates or reconfiguring computers during late-night hours when a company's computers are usually turned off.
b. virtual keyboard
c. standby power
d. remote wakeup
e. Power-On Self-Test
4. In the Windows 2000 operating system, this is a collection of settings that define what a system will look like and how it will behave for a select group of users.
a. Group Policy Object
5. This is the detailed recording and updating of information that describes an enterprise's computer systems and networks, including all workstations and their hardware and software components.
a. Master Boot Record
c. configuration management
d. Conversational Monitor System
e. access log
6. This product from Symantec can clone (copy) the entire contents of a hard disk to another computer's hard disk, automatically formatting and partitioning the target workstation.
b. port replicator
c. carbon copy
8. In a Windows NT environment, what the user sees on his or her workstation, as well as what files, applications and directories they have access to, is determined by how the network administrator has set up this.
a. user profile
b. hardware abstraction layer
c. LANDesk Client Manager
9. This management tool can be used in a classroom system where one PC becomes the "master" of student computers, automatically reconfiguring them or turning them off at night.
a. big-endian and little-endian
b. Remote-control software
c. reconfigurable processor
e. distributed file system
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER KEY
Be sure to take these other quizzes:
Quiz #1: Help Desk Basics
Quiz #2: Security Basics
Quiz #3: Data Storage
Quiz #4: Networking Hardware
Quiz #5: Getting Your Message Across the Network
Quiz #6: Servers
Quiz #7: Protocols
Quiz #8: Database Basics
Quiz #9: Wireless
Quiz #10: TCP/IP
Quiz #11: Ego-Booster
Quiz #12: Database II
Quiz #13: AS/400
Quiz #14: Peripherals
Quiz #15: HP
Quiz #16: Web Management Basics
Quiz #17: DSL
Quiz #18: Do you know me? You should!
Quiz #19: Artificial Intelligence
Quiz #20: Cryptography
Quiz #21: We're Going to the Zoo!
Quiz #22: Web Site Performance
Quiz #23: Firewalls
Quiz #24: Web Services
Quiz #25: Security
Quiz #26: Storage Smarts
Quiz #27: Security Awareness for End-users
Quiz #28: Ethernet
Quiz #29: iSeries (AS/400) Commands
Quiz #30: Troubleshooting
Quiz #31: Laptops
Quiz #32: Securing your network
Quiz #33: Logic Chips
Quiz #34: Workstations (you're on this quiz now)
Answers:1c; 2d; 3b; 4a; 5c; 6a; 7d; 8a; 9b; 10e
Let us know how you did and suggest a topic for a future quiz! email@example.com