This year will see accelerated adoption of federated identity standards, technologies and projects, according to a customer survey conducted by technology vendor Ping Identity Corp.
The survey, which was sent to users of the Denver-based company's SourceID open source federation gateway, was aimed at federation project managers.
Highlights from the survey include:
- More than 70% of respondents said they were in a planning, while 16% said they were in active pilot projects.
- 38% of respondents plan to have their identity federation projects running within six months, and an additional 32% plan to do so by the end of 2004.
- 41% of respondents plan to federate with partners, 19% with suppliers and 33% with consumers or customers.
- 41% of respondents are using identity federation technologies internally; 21% plan to federate with external partners, and the remaining 38% plan to use identity federation technology both internally and externally.
- More than 50% of the respondents indicated their protocol priorities as being Liberty Phase I and SAML v2.0 specifications.
- 36% of respondents indicated that their federation project was both sanctioned and budgeted for 2004.