By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
A template is a form, mold, or pattern used as a guide to making something. Here are some examples:
- A ruler is a template when used to draw a straight line.
- A document in which the standard opening and closing parts are already filled in is a template that you can copy and then fill in the variable parts.
- An overlay that you put on your computer keyboard telling you special key combinations for a particular application is a template for selecting the right keys to press.
- Flowcharting templates (not used much now) help programmers draw flowcharts or logic sequences in preparation for writing the code.
- In programming, a template is a generic class or other unit of source code that can be used as the basis for unique units of code. In C++, an object-oriented computing language, there are Standard Template Libraries from which programmers can choose individual template classes to modify. The Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFCL) is an example.